Facebook have just released the new Timeline. It is available for page admins to use now and they can either publish it now or it will be switched over for everyone in theory on March the 30th.
There are a couple of things worth noting:
1) You can no longer set a default tab, although you can still link to the custom tab in your advertising and on your websites
2) You can have a funky custom cover image, but it is restrictive in what you can have on there (taken from the FAQ)
- Price or purchase information, such as “40% off” or “Download it at our website”
- Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page’s About Section
- References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features
- Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends”
3) You can now message your fans individually as your page
4) Your tabs are now featured prominently at the top of the page, although you are only allowed 4 of them visible
5) The default view of pages is highlights which is what Facebook thinks is important rather than what you may think is important, although like on personal timelines you are able to sculpt this
6) You can pin a post as the most important in your page and this is what is likely to be what people will see first.
7) The width of the custom tabs has increased up to according to Facebook 810 pixels, although in actual fact this appears to be 789pixels. This is nice as it gives more space to work with. We will have a release of Easy FanPage Design out shortly that will encompass this increased width.
Some examples of Pages that have already switched over to the timeline include:
I have also just switched over the Vashon Media page to the new Timeline. And need to get a cover image up there.
As always with Facebook they certainly like to keep us on our toes!
What do you think of the new changes? Would love to hear your thoughts!